Tuesday 27 January 2009

How to write

Writing is tough. Writing clear, easy to understand prose is difficult. I'm very concious of my writing skills (or lack of them?) and think hard about how and what I write. Maybe I think to hard and that becomes a barrier to writing at all, if the lack of recent updates to this blog is any indication...

I have a checklist pinned above my desk taken from the University of Bristol Writing for the web workshop (checklist on page 11) much of which applies to writing for any medium.

I also have an old copy of a self-taught course from the Plain English campaign. This was a chance discovery I found when clearing out an old filing cabinet. Miraculously I can still find it when I need it - it has survived my often arcane filing system.

This post was prompted by my colleague Martin Poulter's post Good Practice in Writing which contains some excellent guidance on writing clearly. I'll add a few of my own tips:

Write to a strict word count or space limit. Write something as a paper leaflet - the space limit will force you to be concise. Then rewrite the sprawling website to the same standard.I try to keep email newsletters to 250 words (many would say that is itself too long).

Look for ambiguity
. I know what I meant, but could someone interpret it differently? If that email is going to 5000 people then someone will. Read what you write with a fresh eye. How would someone with a different cultural background or English as a second language read it?

The guidance from many RFCs to be liberal in what you accept and strict in what you generate works well for natural language too. Think about that principle when reading what others have written - force yourself to read the better meaning from something ambiguous, and you'll avoid many unnecessary flamewars.

2 comments:

Nick Skelton said...

I followup - my favourite quotation on writing

"Je N'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parceque je n'ai pas eu le loisir de la faire plus courte."
Blaise Pascal, Lettres provinciales

(I have only made this letter rather long because I have not had time to make it shorter)

Anonymous said...

Hi Nick and thanks for your comment and link. Glad to see you've got a blog and that I've spurred you to making a post. As for whether to publish unfinished stuff, that's the million-dollar question. In theory, we could just label stuff as draft, rough notes etc. but would the audience take note of the disclaimers? It calls to mind when the web was plastered with "under construction" GIFs.